- 2022 Employment Law Round-up
- The Hard Edge of Rounding: California Supreme Court May Have Just Put an End to Rounding Policies
- 2021 Employment Law Round-up
- New California Law Attacks Mandatory Arbitration Agreements
- Epic Systems Decision May Not Ease California Employers’ Pain
- De Minimus Time May Cause Maximum Problems for Employers
About Avi M. Attal, Esq.
Avi M. Attal, Esq. is Co-Chair of the Labor and Employment Litigation practice group at Kahana Feld. Mr. Attal has represented clients through every part of the employment dispute process including compliance consultations, pre-litigation investigations, DFEH & EEOC investigations, worker compensation disputes, Department of Industrial Relations hearings, mediations, binding arbitrations, bench trials, jury trials and appeals - both for individual matters and also class action and PAGA cases. Mr. Attal is also a key member of the firm's general liability practice group. Specifically, Mr. Attal's prior employment as staff counsel in a large public insurance company provided behind the scenes insight into the inner workings of insurance claims and the priorities in resolution. Mr. Attal's practice also extends into business litigation and real property litigation.
In addition to serving as litigation counsel, Mr. Attal is a recognized public speaker on employment practices. For years, he has regularly presented to audiences ranging from ten to hundreds on developments in employment law, compliance practices, and practices to both keep employees satisfied while simultaneously protecting companies from lawsuits.
Mr. Attal lives in Irvine California with his wife and three children. He is an active member of Beth Jacob in Irvine where he sings in the choir. He enjoys cooking, rock climbing and sports (especially Cal sports teams).
- Loyola Law School in Los Angeles (Juris Doctor)
- Scott Moot Court Honors Board
- University of California, Berkeley
- Interfraternity Council Judicial Committee
- State Bar of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- US Court of Appeals – Ninth Circuit
- Successfully compelled numerous employment matters to arbitration and obtained settlements either at no cost to the client or below insurance retention.
- Obtained a full defense award, as well as recovery of both damages and attorneys’ fees, on cross-complaint in arbitration.
- Successfully resolved employee wrongful termination and accommodation claims for nuisance value.
- Obtained a directed verdict for defense and recovering a six-figure award on cross-complaint in real estate litigation.
- Successfully defended multiple clients having lawsuits dismissed at preliminary pleading level.
- Represented a private landowner in defending eminent domain proceedings and obtained settlement of approximately $4.5 million after initial offer was less than $100,000.
- Represented a church in defending an eminent domain proceeding and reached a settlement approximately five times the initial offer plus additional non-monetary compensation.
- Successfully defended a multi-million dollar brain trauma lawsuit in jury trial with no cost to client.
- Martindale Hubble AV Preeminent peer rating awarded to the top 10% of attorneys that are recognized for their strong legal ability and high ethical standards
- Selected to Super Lawyers 2021-present
- William P. Gray Legion Lex American Inn of Court
- Beth Jacob Congregation of Irvine, Member and Volunteer
- Olam Montessori, PTO President
- Eagle Scout