About Alex M. Chazen, Esq.Alex M. Chazen, Esq. is a Partner in Kahana & Feld's real estate, construction, and insurance defense practice groups. Mr. Chazen primarily handles construction and real estate law and has represented all sides of these types of disputes, including developers, general contractors, trade contractors, owners, and buyers. Mr. Chazen works with his clients at all stages of a project, from site planning and the drafting of contract and project documents through actual construction, the sales process, and litigation that often arises during and after the construction phase. Mr. Chazen also works with his clients to develop risk management strategy, business and project planning, and dispute resolution prior to the initiation of litigation.
Mr. Chazen lives in Newport Beach with his wife and two children. In his free time, he enjoys coaching youth soccer, cheering on his beloved Dodgers, Clippers, and Chelsea FC, and spending time at the beach with his family.
- Loyola Law School in Los Angeles (Juris Doctor)
- Scott Moot Court Honors Board, Associate Justice
- Tax Appeals Assistance Program, Student Attorney
- Los Angeles, Country District Attorney’s Office, Law Clerk
- University of California, Irvine (Bachelors of Arts in Political Science)
- State Bar of California
- State Bar of Texas
- US District Court of the Central District of California
- Obtained multiple favorable settlements on behalf of developers and general contractors in construction defect litigation.
- Successfully argued against Type I indemnity agreement, negating $4 million dollar claim against client.
- Winner CLM Professional of the Year – Young Professional Outside Counsel (2020)
- Recognized as Rising Star by Super Lawyer Magazine (2018, 2019)
- Recognized for CLM Professional of the Year – Young Professional Outside Counsel, Finalist (2019)
- American Bar Association Forum on Construction Law
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance, Construction Law Community
- California Lawyers Association – Real Property Law Section
- Orange County Bar Association, Construction Section
- Gallagher Basset National Webinar for Claims Administrators and Managers: “Additional Insureds: General Principles of Contractual Indemnification“
- Annual West Coast Casualty Construction Defect Seminar: “Contractor Wars: The Last AI”
- Perrin Construction Defect Claims and Trial Conference: “Green Buildings and Construction Defect Claims”
- The CLM Alliance Webinar: “A National Case Law Review of 2018”
- OCBA Construction Law Section: “Preparing for Mediation: How to Achieve Success”
- American Bar Association Under Construction Magazine: “The Tender Letter“
- Construction Claims Magazine: “Ask Me What I Want: How to Attract and Retain Millennials in the Construction Claims Industry“
- The CLM Alliance’s “California Construction Claims Resources“
- Bay Window Magazine: Monthly Legal Columnist
- Building Hope: City of Hope, Real Estate and Construction Industries Council
- Director of Education – CLM Orange County Chapter
- Secretary/Treasurer – Orange County Bar Association Construction Section