Samuel Yu, Esq.
Samuel Yu is a seasoned trial attorney with over a decade of experience in business litigation. Mr. Yu is AV Preeminent Rated and a partner at Kahana & Feld LLP. In addition to being the Chair of the Shareholder Litigation practice group, Mr. Yu has extensive experience in labor and employment litigation.
Mr. Yu has successfully represented clients in various business enterprises including telecommunications companies, technology companies, logistics companies, textile companies, real estate brokerages, supermarket chains, non-profit organizations, and small businesses in a broad range of practice areas.
Mr. Yu earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of California, Berkeley while majoring in Legal Studies. He worked as a clerk at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, LLP in San Francisco before earning his Juris Doctor from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, where he was a staff writer on the Loyola of Los Angeles International & Comparative Law Review. Mr. Yu also interned at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and began his career at the boutique civil litigation firm of LTL Attorneys LLP.
Mr. Yu is conversant in Korean and has represented many Korean language clients throughout his career including the Korea Deposit Insurance Corporation (KDIC), Korean supermarket chains, textile companies, and various small business owners. Mr. Yu obtained favorable settlements in excess of $2 million on behalf of the KDIC on breach of contract and fraudulent transfer claims. He is admitted to practice law in the State of California and before the United States District Court for the Central District of California. Mr. Yu resides in Irvine with his wife and two sons. Mr. Yu also volunteers his time at Sa-Rang Community Church in Anaheim, CA, where he is an active member within the HolyWave Ministry. He has also recently gone on an outreach mission trip to Tokyo, Japan and looks forward to going on other outreach trips in the future.
Representative experience include:
- Obtaining a favorable settlement including a buyout and payment of attorney’s fees on behalf of a minority shareholder in a dispute regarding the invalidity of an election of the board of directors and failure to provide corporate records by an entertainment technology company
- Compelling a wage and hour and misclassification class action lawsuit against a trucking company to arbitration resulting in a favorable settlement
- Obtaining favorable settlements in excess of $2.5 million on behalf of the Korea Deposit Insurance Corporation (KDIC) on breach of contract, domestication of foreign judgment, and fraudulent transfer claims
- Successfully defending a non-profit religious organization in a takeover attempt
- Obtaining a jury verdict in favor of a real estate broker in a breach of fiduciary duty action where the broker was being sued for damages in excess of $1 million
- Gaining a favorable settlement in excess of $1 million on behalf of a telecommunication company after successfully bringing an application for writ of attachment and right to attach order in a breach of contract action
- Obtaining a jury verdict for the tenant in an action against the landlord for intentional interference with prospective economic advantage where the jury awarded the tenant approximately $700,000, over twice the amount originally sought
- Obtaining a favorable settlement of more than $600,000 on a breach of contract action on behalf of a telecommunications company for a recovery of 95% of the amount owed after bringing a motion for summary judgment
- Prevailing on summary judgment in excess of $300,000 against a construction company regarding damages arising from a home renovation project