Samuel Yu, Esq.
Samuel Yu, a seasoned trial attorney with years of experience in business litigation, is a partner at Kahana & Feld LLP. Mr. Yu has extensive experience with labor and employment litigation, including recently compelling a wage and hour class action to arbitration.
Mr. Yu has successfully represented clients in various business enterprises including telecommunications companies, trucking companies, real estate brokerages, supermarket chains, non-profit organizations and small businesses in a broad range of practice areas.
Mr. Yu earned his Bachelor of Arts degree from the University of California, Berkeley while majoring in Legal Studies. He worked as a clerk at Pillsbury Winthrop Shaw Pittman, LLP in San Francisco before earning his Juris Doctor from Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, where he was a staff writer on the Loyola of Los Angeles International & Comparative Law Review. Mr. Yu also interned at U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and worked at the boutique civil litigation firm of Lee Tran & Liang APLC.
Mr. Yu is conversant in Korean and has represented many Korean language clients throughout his career including the Korea Deposit Insurance Corporation (KDIC), Korean supermarket chains and various small business owners. Mr. Yu obtained favorable settlements in excess of $2 million on behalf of the KDIC on breach of contract and fraudulent transfer claims. He is admitted to practice law in the State of California and before the United States District Court for the Central District of California. Mr. Yu resides in Irvine with his wife and two sons. Mr. Yu also volunteers his time at Sa-Rang Community Church in Anaheim, CA, where he is an active member within the HolyWave Ministry. He has also gone on an outreach mission trip to Tokyo, Japan in May 2016 and looks forward to going on other trips in the future.
Representative experiences include:
- Compelling a wage and hour and misclassification class action lawsuit against a trucking company to arbitration
- Obtaining favorable settlements in excess of $2 million on behalf of the Korea Deposit Insurance Corporation (KDIC) on breach of contract and fraudulent transfer claims
- Obtaining a jury verdict in favor of a real estate broker in a breach of fiduciary duty action where the broker was being sued for damages in excess of $1 million
- Gaining a favorable settlement in excess of $1 million on behalf of a telecommunication company after successfully bringing an application for writ of attachment and right to attach order in a breach of contract action
- Obtaining a jury verdict for the tenant in an action against the landlord for intentional interference with prospective economic advantage where the jury awarded the tenant approximately $700,000, nearly twice the amount originally sought
- Obtaining a favorable settlement of more than $600,000 on a breach of contract action on behalf of a telecommunications company for a recovery of 95% of the amount owed
- Prevailing on summary judgment and award in excess of $300,000 against a construction company regarding damages arising from a home renovation project
- Obtaining a favorable settlement including payment of attorney’s fees on behalf of a minority shareholder in a dispute regarding the invalidity of an election of the board of directors and failure to provide corporate records by an entertainment technology company